I just love soup and am always trying to come up with new not-too-complicated recipes to keep me in my soup and keep the DH and kids happy.
This soup, with some toasted grilled cheese and some cut up veggies is a really filling, easy shmeasy and totally multi-age pleasing meal!
Note: You could totally replace the rice with any little pasta shapes–stars, alphabet noodles etc. Just cook them first, or they will soak up all of your soup!
Serves a family of 4, with leftovers for lunch
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2-3 carrots, sliced (about 1 cup)
1-2 stalks celery, sliced
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes in puree
3 cups vegetable broth
1-2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
salt & pepper to taste
1 cup milk (if you don't want to use milk, you could totally substitute soy or rice milk)
1 cup cooked rice
1. Heat oil in soup pot and saute onions and garlic for a minute or two, until fragrant.
2. Add celery and carrots and cook for a minute or two more.
3. Add tomatoes, broth and seasonings and bring to a boil. Stir well.
4. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered until all vegetables are soft–about 20 minutes.
5. With a stick blender, puree soup until mostly smooth.
6. Add rice and milk and heat gently. (Don't boil!)