I had some dental work done this afternoon, so I made a big pot of this soup this morning. With a whole grain loaf of bread, some good cheese and a side of roasted asparagus, it made a nice dinner for a gloomy day.
Sweet Potato, Corn and Wild Rice Chowder
1 tbsp vegetable oil
I large or 2 small onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
12 cups water
1 cup wild rice
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
generous pinch salt
4 cups diced sweet potatoes (about 3)
2 1/2-3 cups corn kernels–fresh, frozen or really good canned ones (if using canned, rinse well)
1. In a soup pot, heat the oil.
2. Add onion and garlic and saute for abot 5 minutes.
3. Add water, wild rice and seasonings and bring to a simmer.
4. Over and simmer for 20 minutes, over medium heat, stirring once or twice.
5. Add sweet potatoes and corn, turn down heat slightly and cook for another 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.