This soup is warm, creamy and comforting while still being super light and packs a nutritional punch!
It makes a perfect baby food for an older infant if you either leave out the mushrooms or puree them into the soup. If you are planning to freeze it in small portions (perfect if you are planning to use it to feed your baby) leave out the milk and add it once you've defrosted the soup.
Spinach & Mushroom Soup
2 Tbsp butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 8z container of mushrooms (super delicious with Baby Bella mushrooms, but white button mushrooms will do), sliced
2 bunches (or a 10oz package) fresh spinach, washed well and de-stemmed
2 Tbsp flour
2 c vegetable or chicken stock
1 bay leaf
1 cup whole or lowfat milk
Salt & pepper to taste
1. In a large saucepan, melt 1 Tbsp butter over medium heat, taking care not to burn.
2. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft.
3. Add spinach and cook, covered, until completely wilted.
4. Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir well.
5. Add stock and bay leaf, and cook, uncovered for 10-15 minutes.
[6. While soup is cooking, melt the remaining Tbsp of butter in a small pan.
7. Saute mushrooms for 3-4 minutes until soft and aromatic.]
8. Remove and discard bay leaf from soup pot.
9.Pour soup into a food processor and puree until smooth.
10. Stir in milk and season to taste with salt and pepper.
11. Add sauteed mushrooms.